Saturday, April 11, 2015

I is for...Inspiration

It can come from anywhere...hit you where you least expect it.  Sometimes it is ill-timed, like when you're about to fall asleep.  Other times it comes at the perfect moment to seize you in a fervent grip of creativity.

Inspiration, that elusive magic all creatives have certainly felt from time to time, and undoubtedly chased after at other times.

As an artist, I am always looking for that "thing," that a-ha moment, that big idea that is different from anything anyone else is doing.  I keep my eyes open and try to look at things in a new way.

Not long ago a painting in the background of a television news segment caught my eye.  That's a cool painting, I thought, looking past the woman who was being interviewed.  Something seemed off, though, and I looked a little closer.  I realized it wasn't a painting at all, but a stainless steel fridge behind a countertop with two white plates on it, and a couple of pieces of toast on the plates!

But, the painting was there in my mind, and so I had to get to work, of course :)

Below is the crop from the original news segment and then my resulting paintings where I tried to replicate what I thought I saw.  I guess the moral is to keep an open mind and you may be pleasantly surprised!


The original background that I thought was a painting.


"The Barrens I"  encaustic on board 2.5" x 3.5"


"The Barrens II" encaustic on board 2.5" x 3.5"


"The Barrens III" encaustic on board 2.5" x 3.5"


2 comments:

  1. Awesome post describing your inspiration! Minion Carrie from Lauren's team dropping in to say hello and offer encouragement! If you go ahead and write tomorrow (Sunday) you will be caught up on the letters. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiration is a fun idea. Just dropping in from the A to Z from a link on Diane Coto's blog at FictionZeal.com

    ReplyDelete